Senior Software Engineer
Product & Engineering – Cambridge, MA, US
Polis is a rapidly growing start-up focused on delivering solutions that coordinate and automate the logistics of canvassing efforts. By making it easier for organizations to spread their message door-to-door, our solutions have been used on two presidential campaigns and by corporate leaders in solar, home security, and a range of other industries. We are passionate about building clean UIs on top of rock-solid back-end systems.
We want you to join the team if you are a highly motivated software engineer who brings fresh and innovative ideas, if you have the experience to build high-performance data collection and processing systems and if you are enthusiastic about solving new problems as we continue to push technology forward.
Also, we would love to talk to you if you have successfully implemented several database-backed web-based solutions using Node.js, Java, Python and/or related technologies, as well as experience in designing UIs in React, Angular or related languages.
As a crucial member of the Polis team, you will work on a diverse group of tasks critical to Polis’s growth as our fast-paced business scales and evolves. You will be responsible for projects spanning our stack.
Come be part of our success story!
What we need…
A software engineer who excels at:
- Working independently with minimal requirements
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development lifecycle.
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Accomplishes engineering and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
- Supports and develops software engineers by providing advice, coaching and educational opportunities.
Who is an ideal fit…
- 6+ years of experience working in software engineering.
- Software development expertise in at least one of the following: Node, React, Scala, Python.
- Experience developing accessible technologies.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages as needed.
- Proficient in SQL and database design.
- Experienced mentoring junior software engineers
- Ability to thrive in an agile, team-oriented environment.
- Agile workflows, such as Scrum or Kanban
- API-centric, microservice architectures
- HTTP, REST, and Swagger
- Deployment and build tools, such as Travis, Jenkins, Packer, or Vagrant
- RDBMS systems PostgreSQL, MySQL, or SQL Server
- NoSQL technologies such MongoDB, Couchbase, or RethinkDB
- Linux distros such as Ubuntu or CentOS
- Container technologies such as Docker, rkt, Nomad, or Kubernetes
- Amazon Web Services
- iOS or Android development experience is a plus
What's in it for you…
- Generous equity offering
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedule
- Access to professional networking resources
- All of the Skittles you could possibly eat
- Learn new technologies, and contribute to open source projects
- Significantly impact the design of an early-stage product
If you like what you've read here, please submit an application and we'll reach out. Not sure this is a fit for you? Shoot us an email and we'll be happy to chat :)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.